Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Little Old Ladies from Pasadena

My grandfather Harold Leddy had four sisters: Iona, Alma, May and Helen.  I remember Auntie May and Helen as little old ladies who lived in Pasadena.  Jack informs me that May was considered the smart one of the family, although she may have never finished high school.  He says she worked in Washington and was Secretary to the Secretary of the U.S.  He says she met all the Presidents of the U.S. I have not been able to confirm any of this.  I remember their house as a one story California bungalow... very dark.  Auntie Alma was a nun.  I remember little about her except that she was very nice.  Both she and my Aunt Marie ended up at the Sister of the Holy Names Convent in Los Gatos. Jack says that she taught mathematics. I believe her order was Sisters of Mercy.  Jack also informs me that his grandfather Leddy had worked as a newspaper boy in Philadelphia a carpenter and eventually as a clothes store entrepreneur.  He made enough money to retire at a young age.  He packed the entire family onto a train and came to California.  They got off, Jack says, in Pasadena, as that was the first stop.  He bought a plot of land there and built a house and a barn, although the area quickly became up-scale and not appropriate for barns.  Jack says that his grandfather was a devout Catholic and built a church for the black Catholics of South Pasadena. Holy Family Church appears to be the Catholic Church in South Pasadena.  They had a "bungalow" church as early as 1910.  They started building their current church in 1923. I've got to find some pictures of May and Helen, and more about them.  I don't think they every drove hot-rods.

No comments:

Post a Comment