Saturday, August 15, 2015

Edna Dell Robins





This is my grandmother (mother's mother), Edna Winters, originally Edna Dell Robins.  She does look a lot like my mother.  I really remember little about her and have only made one post about her previously, here.  I remember that we visited her in San Francisco where she lived in an apartment near the Presidio, that she was a nurse, that she had some relation to Alcatraz and showed me, or gave me, a letter stamped with Alcatraz and a pelican (perhaps she was a nurse there).

She and my grandfather divorced when my mother was a teenager.  Malcolm Winter writes this about her "I always thought a lot of my aunt Edna. She was a middle aged white haired lady when I knew her - very friendly and considerate.  However after 20 or so years of marriage to my Uncle Jim, she developed a number of delusions about him that eventually resulted in his divorcing her. After the divorce I didn't see her again, but understand that her delusions cleared.She moved to California and lived there till her death."

Edna was devoted to my mother, her only child, and would often do restaurant work near where my mom was going to school or attending summer camp.  

No comments:

Post a Comment