Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Joseph Leddy Organizes a Catholic Picnic

Joseph Leddy was my grandfather Harold Leddy's older brother.  He was born in 1886 and married Mabel Decker on Oct. 22, 1907.  He and Mabel must have been considered important in Pasadena as their wedding preparations are mentioned twice in the Los Angeles Herald.  Joseph Died Dec. 1, 1960 in Altadena.  They had one son, Francis Leddy, who was born in 1908.


Los Angeles Herald, Volume 36, Number 101, 10 January 1909 

Joseph Leddy was the financial secretary of the Knights of Columbus, Pasadena Council.  The deputy knight was H. L. Mouat also associated with Joseph in the article below.




"PASADENANS TO GO TO PICNIC" 

Los Angeles Herald, Volume 37, Number 304, 1 August 1910

PASADENA, August 1, One hundred and fifty or more Pasadena Catholics are planning to attend the eighth annual reunion of Southern California, to be held in Redondo next Saturday. A special train will be engaged for those going from here. The program includes speeches, a baby show, athletic sports and dancing. Joseph Leddy and Harry Mouat of this city are on the reception committee.

5 comments:

  1. Dear Mr Leddy, I knew your mother when I lived in California. I belonged to an artist group with her. I was a dryer, she was magnificent.
    I bought two of your mother's works, prints, and still, after many many changes of address, hang them and look at them with immense pleasure. Please give her my love, on let her know how much I always appreciated her work.
    Efrigeri@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tom, I have a vague memory of old Uncle Joe as being taller than our Grandfather. But I was barely 2 years old in Dec. 1960 so I wonder if that year is correct or my memory is false.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello all, I am Susan Eileen Leddy. I wanted to chat about my greatgrandfather, Joseph Edward Leddy, who was a fine man - well travelled, educated, owned his own business in Pasadena (Leddy's Men's wear) and active in his community and church. I have very fond memories of Thanksgiving dinners in their Pasadena estate, served entirely by his amazing wife Mabel. She was a wonderful cook, and as a child I had the impression she prelly much lived for my great grandpa. I called him Grandpa Joe, even though he was my great grandfather. I would sit in his lap while he sipped what was probably scotch and smoked his pipe and told me of his many travels. He was a tall man with very white hair. He died when I was 11 and I was devastated. John C., you memory of a taller man could have been my grandfather, Francis, the only son of Joseph Edward.

    My Grandpa Joe had many siblings including Alma, or Sister Mary Dara. She was a wonderful nun, and gave the last rites to my father (Joseph Clyde Leddy) who died much too young at 41. She made a huge impression on me - in fact I wanted to be a nun until I was 14 or so! There was also Helen, Harold, and perhaps another, I'd have to look at the tree again.

    My thanks to Tony Parone, who contacted me though ancestry.com. Tonight I closed my eyes and travelled through the Pasadena estate, saw my Greatgrandpa Joe and my Greatgrandma and it was a very pleasant trip down memory lane! Anyone related to Joseph Edward Leddy should be proud.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Sorry, my previous answer was wrong. The sisters of my grandfather Harold and your great grandpa Joe were Alma, Jane, Helen and May. Iona was my grandmother's sister.

      Delete